- 225g / 8oz / 2 cups of Self-raising flour
- 100g / 3.5oz Butter, cut into small pieces
- 125g / 4.5oz Stoned Dates chopped
- 2 Bananas, mashed roughly
- 2 Eggs, beaten lightly
- 3 Tablespoons of Honey
- Grease a 900g / 2lbs loaf tin and line the base with baking parchment.
- Sieve or strain the flour into a mixing bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add chopped dates, bananas, beaten eggs and honey into the dry ingredients. Mix together.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and level the surface with the back of a knife.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 160◦C / 325◦F / Gas Mark 3 for about one hour or until golden and a fine metal skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave the loaf to cool in the tin then transfer to a wire rack.
- Serve the loaf warm or cold, cut into thick slices.
This tea bread will keep for several days if stored in an airtight container and kept in a cool, dry place